Dnp Capstone Project Ideas
- September 7, 2021
- Posted by: admin
- Category: DNP
Dnp Capstone Project Ideas
Unlike MSN which molds nurse students to be fluent in their scientific skills, DNP nurtures an ability by nursing scholars to be able to use their acquired knowledge to come up with solutions to real-life problems around clinical nursing. A dnp student is required to choose a certain area of interest and present a well-researched capstone project as evidence of their mastery in clinical practice.
The projects are resourceful sources of extra knowledge for primary health care providers and health care professionals. A capstone project should therefore be part of a quality improvement project in health care service provision. The knowledge helps in improved awareness and ability to handle and curb some serious health conditions such as heart failure, obesity, diabetes, and depression among others.
Nursing education is critical to any given community as it is the only hope to find treatment for some worrying conditions at the community level. During the nursing practice, performance assessments are done on the ability of the dnp student to derive nursing satisfaction by the virtue of being able to solve an existing health challenge. Unlike bsn and msn, dnp project evaluates the mastery of a dnp student in translating evidence in a real health care environment.
Where to Source for Dnp Capstone Project Ideas
Coming up with researchable dnp capstone project ideas may pose a challenge to any dnp student. One of the most reliable sources for dnp capstone-project ideas is scholarly material and past researches. Below is a list of general research topics mostly associated with the quality improvement that could form great dnp capstone-project ideas.
- Impact of mass sensitization on Adult immunizations
- Attitudes and beliefs on adult immunization
- Health quality-improvement project
- How continuous awareness such as depression awareness would translate into quality improvement of life for each particular patient.
- Nursing satisfaction improvement
- An evaluation of treatment process for mild UTI in premenopausal non-pregnant women
- Burnout and suicide prevention for nurses in the course of their duties
What a Good Dnp Capstone Project Should Look Like; Characteristics of a Good Dnp Project
Unlike a bsn capstone project that tests the research skills of a bsn student, dnp projects test the applicability of the acquired knowledge. The structure of a bsn and msn capstone project varies from that of and dnp capstone.
Top mark capstone projects; should focus on driving change to the influence of direct and indirect care on the healthcare results.
- Should have a particular focus, either on systems or population
- Should be easy to implement in the relevant area of practice
- Need to have a blueprint for sustainability
- Incorporate an evaluation of procedures and their resulting outcomes.
What are the Various Types of Dnp Projects?
There are different categories of dnp capstone projects under which a dnp student can choose from. These categories form researchable groups of researchable topics and scopes. Some of the common types of dnp projects/ categories include;
- Community action project, which seeks to evaluate health programs that address the health, needs of a community in general as opposed to an individual patient
- Health promotion and community health projects that are concerned with the general wellbeing of the society
- Digital care and informatics projects mostly revolving around the evaluation of technology use in patient assessment and critical care
- Projects that translate knowledge into practice such as those on quality improvement, and those on implementation of evidence-based practice policies
Clinical care guidelines, pediatric primary care, electronic health records, and chronic disease management are some of the dominant and specific areas around which most dnp projects are formed.
Clinical Practice Guidelines
Clinical practice guidelines refer to existing standards and health policy that govern how health care professionals execute their mandates in diagnosis and patients management. They form a basis for day-to-day health operations and procedures. Clinical practice guidelines also provide step by step guide for those in nursing practice on how to handle various health conditions. some capstone project ideas that revolve around the applicability of these guidelines include:
- Pain management in laboring women
- A comprehensive integrated model for dementia care and mild cognitive impairment
Pediatric Primary Care
The concept revolves around all the activities entailed in health supervision, monitoring, disease management through nursing education on palliative care, among other nursing practices and activities associated with children and adolescents. A strategic plan is necessary to map out means to achieve proper primary care, especially in neonatal and postnatal health. Some of the hot topics or ideas within pediatric would be topics such as;
- Implementation of a strategic plan for an inpatient hospice program to offer primary care for emergency cases.
- Management of autism spectrum disorders in children
- Treatment and obesity management in children: creating awareness on dietary habits
Electronic Health Record
It refers to a digital document containing a patient’s health information or data. It aids easy access past health history of a patient when delivering services. Electronic record management help in the systematic storage of patients’ data that is easy to retrieve upon demand. Since its adoption provision of health services has improved to a recommendable level. Storage of health records for a long period to the unforeseeable future is has been made possible through H.E.R. the risk of damage or misplacement is mitigated compared with manual records management. An example of a dnp project idea would be:
- Research on Electronic health record management for quality improvement in health services
Chronic Disease Management
Chronic ailments are long-term diseases for which there is no specific treatment or cure. These ailments can only be managed to increase the quality of life and longevity of the patient. A dnp fnp student is equipped with the knowledge to offer nursing services at the family or individual level with access to an acute care hospital. A dnp fnp student would thus be a great fit to offer such home-based care as they have the know-how in primary care practice. A post- bsn student is eligible to enroll dnp fnp programs. They are well equipped to deal with conditions such as diabetes, fevers, and hypertension among others. A wellness program for patients suffering from long-term ailments would be a great support. Some of the dnp capstone project ideas dnp fnp students can apply in their projects are:
- Evaluation on implementation of chronic conditions care
- Health literacy on handling chronic diseases
- Strategic plan for home-based medical care
- Risk assessment and training in preventive care for chronic diseases
Project assessment for bsn, dnp and dnp fnp students should not come as a headache as there are myriads of researchable ideas. All that is required is for the scholars to have a specific area of interest, which will guide them towards a particular topic. Researching around one’s area of interest makes facilitates an easy flow in the research project. For effectiveness in one’s work, it is advisable to relate or review past findings by other bsn, dnp, dnp fnp researchers respectively. This way they will have a clear idea of how their work should look like at the specific learning levels.
Capstone projects offer a promising future in the medical field are more knowledge is continuously exhumed creating more sustainability in the provision of health services by qualified nurses. The projects are therefore to be taken with utmost seriousness with every scholar seeking to have an impact on general health.
The easiest and general way of coming up with the best dnp capstone ideas is to brainstorm. Through brainstorming, one is opened up to a wide scope of unprecedented ideas that could translate to a unique project paper. Brainstorming at a personal level or with friends and colleagues makes everything easy. Once one is able to identify various potential study gaps, what follows is a search for information specific to the topic around which a resourceful final paper is constructed.